[Clam-devel] Sampling Rate and AudioWriters

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Sun Apr 15 01:55:57 PDT 2007

AudioFile refactoring is a little tricker on AudioWriters as they require
header information. Most of the information could be defaulted either on the
configuration or just hidden from the user (format can be selected by the
filename extension, encoding parameters can be set to the default ones...)
The only thing i found to be delicate is the samplerate.

Currently, on the places where we use it (except the tests), we are always
saving at 44100 (sometimes a buggy solution) or taking the sample rate by
hand from the peer reader.

The ideal setting is getting it from the incomming audio, but on current
AudioFile design you must set the sampling rate before getting any data. And
we all know that we still have no parameters propagation. So you should set
it by hand to some quantity either hardcoded or configurable. The effect is
that if the audio and the filewriter sampling rate does not match the save
audio gets a different pitch. So if we keep it configurable the user would
expect that whatever it comes into a writer a samplerate conversion is
performed.

Of course the ideal setting is that all is sample rate safe, but it must be
done. So, by now i'll keep it configurable, default to 44100 and without rate
conversion. But do you have any thoughts on the matter?

(Home) vokimon at telefonica adot net