[Clam-devel] Feature request: standard development folder

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Fri May 4 16:34:26 PDT 2007

Every time I get CLAM going in development mode in a new computer I
suffer from severe stress ;) And it is because of stupid things like
paths that are not set properly or libraries that are loaded from the
wrong folder (e.g. I wasn't able to fix a bug because  I did not realize
that every time I was running Network Editor it was loading the default
libraries in /usr/local/lib, not the ones I was compiling in my
development directory).

I was thinking that a way to minimize this problem would be to define a
standard location for deploying CLAM libs when in devel mode (something
like /trunk/CLAM/libs). We could make it in such a way that when sending
scons the -devel flag it would automatically set that as the install
path. And we could also be very explicit in the instructions (even
issuing a message when the flag is active):

"Make sure that /trunk/CLAM/libs is added to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

Of course there is the trick I just learned today from David, which is
putting all the processings you are working on out of CLAM and into the
NetworkEditor, but I don't think that should be the recommended way of
working.

--
 *       Xavier Amatriain        *