[Clam-devel] connecting ports

Greg Kellum greg.kellum at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:22:29 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I've been working on a composite processing where I've connected an audio
file reader to the SMSAnalysisCore processing class.  To test this, I've
written a simple C function that connects the output of this composite
processing to an SMSSynthesis class so that the audio file is being analyzed
by the new composite processing and then resynthesized by SMSSynthesis.

But unfortunately, I've been having some difficulties figuring out how to
connect these processings together.  After I retrieved and connected the
matching input and output ports on SMSAnalysisCore and SMSSynthesis, the
program crashed with a bus error.  So, now I have some questions about
working with ports.

There seem to be a couple of classes that have publish port methods:
OutPortPublisher and OutPortRegistry.  What is the difference between these
classes?  And which class should actually be used to publish the ports?  And
is there a way to find out which class a port template was instantiated
with?

By the way from what I can tell all of the ports have been published with
free text names written in the actual classes.  This is fairly poor style as
it makes it difficult to retrieve these names later.  It would be better to
replace these free text names with constants or macros that are defined in
either a single constants file or in a single constants file per package.

Best,
Greg