[Clam-devel] Xruns using alsa api

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Mon Mar 12 12:27:02 PDT 2007

Hi, all.

We are trying to use Portaudio as the default audio backend for CLAM. We
already used it on Windows and got some xruns depending on the machine, but
for Linux we got a lot of continuous xruns either by using OSS api (not
reported to the callback but heard) and Alsa api (reported and heard). I
tested it in several Kubuntu machines. And got the same bad results.

Such xruns don't happen neither by using directly JACK or by using Alsa in
blocking mode. For direct Alsa, we gave some priority to the audio thread.
Maybe that could be the trick but firstly i don't know how the proper way of
bumping the portaudio callback priority, and, secondly it is strange for me
that portaudio doesn't work well as is.

I am missing something? Any clues?

David Garcia.