[Clam-devel] Re: [Portaudio] Xruns using alsa api

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Thu Mar 15 17:26:19 PDT 2007

On Dijous 15 Març 2007, Arve Knudsen wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:42:29 +0100, David García Garzón
>
> <dgarcia at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> > I already solved the main xrun problem by boosting the audio thread
> > priority
> > the first time the callback is called after starting the stream. I sent
> > on a
> > previous mail the code i used (win32+posix). Putting that code on the
> > callback is akward. Doing such boost within Portaudio could be more
> > smart. Is
> > it convenient? which could be the convenient way to let the user
> > controlling
> > that?
>
> Actually there is a PA ALSA extension called
> PaAlsa_EnableRealTimeScheduling (declared in pa_linux_alsa.h). You may
> want to play with this.
>
> Arve

Yep! that was what i was looking for! If that works i'd rather prefer this
than the code i already added.

Any example/documentation on how to use such extensions? When should it be
called? What is the PaAlsa_EnableWatchdog about?

Any equivalent extension to boost priority on windows API's? I found the macro
paWinMmeUseLowLevelLatencyParameters, How to use it? i confess not knowing
the real api windows chooses by default (mme? ds? asio?). The main reason for
us to use portaudio is abstracting from the platform and avoiding ifdefs on
our code.

(Home) vokimon at telefonica adot net