[Clam-devel] PATCH: new File class heirarchy

Zach Welch zach-clam-devel at splitstring.com
Mon Apr 9 02:28:02 PDT 2007

Hi all,

The attached patch refactors the re-usable portions out of the AudioFile class
and into a new File class.  This new base class contains virtual methods that
allowed further refactoring of the GUI configurator to use one pair of
methods to operate on the different types of files.  These changes will help
eliminate redundant code in the EmbeddedNetworkFile and NeuralNetworkFile
classes that I have in my tree, as well as hypotheticals like VideoFile.

This patch also changes the semantics of AudioFile, AudioFileSource, and
AudioFileTarget; inheriting from File, AudioFile has become an abstract base
class and can no longer be instantiated.  Changes are included to make all
in-tree consumers use either AudioFileSource (for reading) or AudioFileTarget
(for writing).  These differences are all fairly minor, but they have one
positive side-effect: they help clarify the intent of the surrounding code.

Cheers,

Zach