[Clam-devel] Hello Clam

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 12 12:23:51 PDT 2007

Good question... I guess the answer is: it depends on how much time you
want to invest in dealing with platform-dependent issues. If you want to
avoid those it is probably a good idea to start with a well supported
OS/distro like Ubuntu. But, on the other hand, having developers work
with as different as possible platforms is good for CLAM so I guess we
would be happy to have you working on Windows, for instance.

Let's see what other CLAM devels have to say... David,Pau, what should
our suggestion be for newcomers?

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:01 -0700, abe wrote:
> Hi Xavier,
>
> Thanks for the tips.  As far as the OS I use, at home I have gentoo
> GNU/Linux on a desktop and windows XP w/ cygwin and an old version of
> Mandrake Linux on a laptop (I was thinking of replacing this partition
> with something newer).  At the lab where I work, I have windows 2000 w/
> cygwin.    It seems like  a lot of the  download options on the webpage
> are for Debian...  Would it be good for me to use Debian to work on Clam
> so I can use its package manager or would it be better if I used
> something else to have another OS to test Clam on?
>
> Thanks,
> Abe
>

> Xavier Amatriain wrote:
>
> >Hi Abe, and welcome to the (growing) CLAM family ;)
> >
> >As you might have found in the web app I am formally mentoring so feel
> >free to get in touch off-list.
> >
> >As far as your involvement these first weeks it's important you get
> >everything "up and runnig" asap. That means you should be ready to
> >compile your clam project/extensions and understand how the process
> >works. That would probably keep you busy for some days ;)
> >
> >Don't forget to read the documentation in the wiki. What OS are you
> >using for development?
> >

> >On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:05 -0700, abe wrote:
> >

> >>Hello Clam Developers,
> >>
> >>Yesterday I found out that I was one of the accepted applicants for
> >>Google Summer of Code.  I let it sink it a bit and decided to email the
> >>list to introduce myself since most likely I'll be using this list a lot
> >>in the coming months.  My name is Abe Kazemzadeh and I'm at the
> >>University of Southern California SAIL lab studying computer science
> >>with an emphasis in natural language and speech processing.  In my
> >>application, I mentioned that I was interested in the vowel synthesizer
> >>and adding speech processing-related functionality to Clam.
> >>
> >>Sorry, no technical questions today, but if anyone has advice about
> >>things I can do to get started, that would be nice.  I played around
> >>with an earlier version of clam (c. December) and started learning Qt.
> >>I'll be kind of busy with school until May, but I will definitely play
> >>around with the latest version and follow any suggestions about what I
> >>can do to get up to speed.
> >>
> >>I'm happy to have this opportunity to work with you all and thanks for
> >>your consideration of my application!
> >>
> >>Abe

 *       Xavier Amatriain        *
 *  Associate Director - MATi    *