[Clam-devel] QSynth Knobs

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Mon Apr 16 15:38:27 PDT 2007

Hi, Rui. I liked a lot the knobs you are using for qsynth. The widget which
was adapted (and enhanced?) from Chris Canam Rosegarden code. I integrated it
in CLAM and now is a widget more you can use to prototype applications. Apart
from porting it to Qt4 i also did some enhancements:

* Knob and shadow gradients use QGradient classes
* Pixmap cache was removed. Maybe i did something wrong on the port but the
widget was very sludgy until it generated all the possible possitions and on
resizing was worst. Also qt4 does double buffer by itself -> no need for
pixmap at all.
* The scale has also a gradient
* To match mouse gestures center, i had to center the knob drawing on the
widget area when not square
* Most of the sizes and positions expressed as formulas and variables on the
top and used later. This will ease any further change on proportions and
dimensions.
* Of course, it is integrated as a plugin for designer

I still have to do some enhancements, such allowing more interaction modes as
option (such the one Chris implements in his current knob version). Anyway if
you are interested, you can find the code here:
http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/trunk/NetworkEditor/src/monitors/QSynthKnob.cxx
http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/trunk/NetworkEditor/src/monitors/QSynthKnob.hxx

I also took some screenshot of their current look:
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Development_screenshots

You can see on the gallery i also ported PKSampler pixmap based widgets.
Together with CLAM DSP data views it is starting to be a powerfull audio
toolbox for QtDesigner which may have sense to be distributed independently
of CLAM.

Best wishes.
David Garcia.

(Home) vokimon at telefonica adot net