[Clam-devel] Re: GSoC: Enhancing chord detection

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Mon May 28 10:04:38 PDT 2007

Roman, this all sounds great and very promising! I will try to get you
in touch
with a PhD student here in Santa Barbara that is doing his PhD on MP
applications
for Music. I agree that MP is a cool line of research.

If you haven't done so, I recommend the following papers for alternative
approaches to Chord Detection:

* A System for the Automatic Segmentation and Classification of Chord
Sequences by Joshua Morman; Lawrence Rabiner
* Automatic Chord Recognition from Audio Using a Supervised HMM by Kyogu
Lee; Malcolm Slaney

They were both presented in a workshop I chaired last year and represent
state of the art in chord recognition (and are
both available if you google them).

That said, you must keep in mind that GSoC is a program that is supposed to
fund development more than research (although it is great when both
interests
actually meet!). What I mean by this is that future decisions on how to
proceed
should take very much into account how close you are to "implementing"
something,
and even more how close you are to making something that can be
"publicly available".

Doing these experiments in Matlab is great and they should continue but
I'd suggest
that you start coding in CLAM in parallel, even if it is just to improve
minor issues
related to the current implementation.