[Clam-devel] problem with jackd

Roman Goj roman.goj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:48:57 PDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Roman Goj <roman.goj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/9/07, Andreas Calvo <flipy.bcn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A few days ago, I've tried to open NetworkEditor, and I always get the same
> > message:
> >
> > "jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
> >            =ep cap_setpcap-ep
> >     probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
> >     a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"
> >
> > jackstart: md5 checksum for /usr/bin/jackd does not match"
> >
> > I'm using Ubuntu Feisty, with regular repositories, and I didn't install any
> > third-party software more than the qjackctl.
> >
> > I've tried to completely uninstall all dependencies of jackd and
> > reinstalling them, without any luck.
> >
> > Is someone experiencing the same problem?

> Then after the kernel you need libpam-modules (I guess it should be
> the same package for ubuntu) and then edit your
> /etc/security/limits.conf adding these lines (if they're not there):
>
> @audio - rtprio 99
> @audio - nice -10
> @audio - memlock 250000

Now... sorry for triple posting, even before anyone else answers...

but BETTER NOT put those lines in /etc/security/limits.conf... They
maybe are good for musical applications as the websites suggest but
they seem to make my computer totally unuseable when I use Network
Editor with something computationally heavy (I realized it was the
fault of those lines just a couple of minutes ago, I thought before it
was just my old computer).

It seems theese lines really do give audio a very high priority...
thus making it impossible to do anything else - even the TonalAnalysis
examples just don't work - I'm guessing audio gets a much higher
priority then the analysis and thus it can't compute itself (maybe
it's some kind of a viscious circle - the audio gets the priority but
there's no audio, because the computations can't progress...? seems
strange,,, maybe a bug? :( )

Either way - it might be that it's not a good idea to have audio
prioritzed this much :( (maybe some parameters need to be changed...
maybe it's the fault of my kernel, who knows). I'm stuck with using
jackd without -R then...

I hope you didn't get into any trouble using those lines if you tried
them? (my computer didn't actually hang, only became extremely
sluggish...) Sorry again!

Roman