[Clam-devel] Xrun callbackerrors during SMSTransposition example

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR ctignor at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 12:25:38 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I am running the Network Editor SMSTransposition example on an intel core
duo 1.6 GHz, 1 gig RAM running ubuntu feisty after all the realtime kernel
preemption setups  recommended for audio (including irq management for
example).

I can't seem to find a suitable setting for Jack that eliminates X-run
errors like this:

XRUN callback (6)

on this very fast machine.  I'm not sure what these mean as compared with
the Xxrun of at least 0.019 msecs style errors which I can in fact eliminate
by raising jack's frame size.

There are also

delay of 2327.000 usecs exceeds estimate spare time of 530.000; restart....

errors.

What is this trying to tell me?  It's been very challenging for me to find
info on Jack error messages online.

I am using the not-very-good built in HDA intel audio card that ships with
this mac mini I've installed ubuntu on.  Running Jack with very low latency
(128 frames) by itself produces no x-runs, so it's certainly the added load
of the application.

Is this normal behavior?  Is this example (and CLAM) that intensive.  Is
there a way I've missed to eliminate the xrun callback and delay errors
(whatever they're indicating)?

Thanks -