[Clam-devel] Re: [CLAM Library][Downsampling]

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Tue Sep 11 13:02:36 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 17:51:25 Ivan Schneider wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> I am using the developement version of the CLAM Library (1.1.1 build 10798)
> and I need to do some downsampling in my current project.
> I noticed your DownSamplingExample in the examples folder of CLAM and I
> have a few questions on it.
> First of all, I noticed the ConfigureChildren method of the
> DownSamplingExample isn't called which causes a negative size to be set on
> the fileOut.
> Once I put the call in the ConcreteConfigure method, the execution goes
> fine, however the resulting wave file is kinda crappy. At least the
> downsampling didn't seem to go really smoothly. So my question is , is it
> supposed to work and I did something wrong or it's still a work in progress
> ?
> Thanks in advance for your consideration in my request.
> Bye bye

Thank you for considering CLAM for your project. I would suggest you to mail
such request to the mailing lists (either the user's or the developers ones).
I am forwarding the mail to the developers list just for them to be aware.

The Downsamplig example is just a part of the Formant Extractor example, which
is some legacy code we moved back for a Google Summer Of Code project. It is
compiling but I am not sure whether it is working at all. It seems that it is
not.

Our intention was to eventually incorporate a processing wrapper of the
standard sample rate conversion library libsamplerate [1], in a similar way
we are currently wrapping FFTW. If sampling rate was the only thing you need,
I would recommend you to use libsamplerate directly. If you want to use CLAM
for other purposes than just the sample rate conversion, let me suggest you
to contribute the wrapper ;-) By following the how-to's on the wiki it
shouldn't be that difficult. In any case, we will need to address that in
some near future, so if you don't contribute the wrapper we should do
ourselves at some point.

[1] http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/

BTW, something we always ask: What are you using CLAM for?

David.