[Clam-devel] ladspa sPortSize and latency

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Tue Oct 16 00:28:28 PDT 2007

En/na globot ha escrit:

> Hi,
>
> I was not arround since more than 1 month, I just came back to work ...
> And I got a big problem, i have a project to finish for the begining
> of december and I still got a lot of work to do on all parts (system,
> networking, database, interface and CLAM)
> for Clam I need to use ladspa plugin in real time, i have seen in
> LadspaWrapper.cxx that there is a sPortSize hard coded to 512.
This is a high priority TODO in Clam.
Ladspa and other time-domain processing should configure their ports
based on the host buffer size in order to not increase latency.
It happened that I started implementing in August but was not finished
before holidays because I found a problem that needed extra work. Namely
that the host initialization was happening at Start time, when should be
available at Configure time, (Aside note: Clam network and processing
states are Unconfigured--configure-->Configured--start-->Running)

However, for my project I also need this feature, so will do very soon.
I'll report progress to the list.

> First is it as i think the frame size given to ladspa for processing ?
> Second, how can I decrease it without glitching ? it doesn't look like
> the cpu work so much but the more i reduce the PortSize the more
> metallic become the sound... (a lot of frame droped)
Changing sPortSize should not have any effect on the sound (nor in
reducing the latency actually). I'm interested on what's going on, if
you can provide a patch I'll try to reproduce that.

Cheers,
Pau