[Clam-devel] CLAM 0.97 on my Ubuntu Laptop

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jan 31 02:32:57 PST 2007

Xavier Amatriain wrote:
> Preparing the demo for next week I got it almost all worked out. I had
> to increase the number of Jack buffers and their size in order to get
> the heaviest demos (tonalAnalysis with complex mp3 files) to sound well.
>
> The only weird things I have right now are:
>
> 1. When playing back a 22 kHz wave file like Elvis.wav the sample rate
> is not correctly configured

this is a known problem. alsa backend can be configured with a sr but
jack (and portaudio, i think) don't.
so a general solution would imply leaving sr conversion to clam. or like
ardour does, warn the user that should reconfigure jackd.
> 2. SMSTools does not sound correctly (lots of underruns). I am assuming
> this is using alsa directly but all my other apps using alsa sound ok.

not strange. the current use of alsa is very adhoc, and probably using
too small buffers.
i think we should rewrite AudioOut (blocking back end) upon portaudio.
> So, all in all I can prepare a nice demo.

good!
my advice is to prepare a prototyper demo also. and remember that you
can copy-paste ports and controls ids to the designer.
in last demos, we constructed a tonal analysis app with two tonal
widgets very very quickly.

p.