[Clam-devel] SMSSynthesys and phase management.

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 12 09:42:12 PDT 2007

Giulio,

Adding an "original" option might be a good idea but I wonder if it
wouldn't be better to introduce your phase preservation algorithm in
PhaseManagement as another option, I am sure other people might be
interested in using it or at least seeing how the code work.

In any case, it would be great if you could send the patch (one way or
the other... or both) to the list.

And congratulations for the upgrade! ;)

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 17:31 +0100, Giulio Paci wrote:
> Hi Pau and all,
>
> first of all thank you for your assistance, we succeeded in upgrading our
> speech synthesizer up to CLAM 0.98. Although we got still some small issue
> probably due to some version changes that we do not manage well.
>
> But now we are facing a phase management problem: we have introduced in
> the speech synthesis engine an algorithm (described in [*], see below) for
> preserving the original waveform shape after time stretching and pitch
> shifting operations. In order to do so we must modify all phase values.
>
> We are using SMSSynthesis class, but the method
> bool SMSSynthesis::Do(
>         SpectralPeakArray& inputSinusoidalPeaks,
>         Spectrum& inputResidualSpectrum,
>         Spectrum& outputSinusoidalSpectrum,    //
>         Spectrum& outputSpectrum,        //
>         Audio& outputAudio,
>         Audio& outputSinusoidalAudio,
>         Audio& outputResidualAudio)
> in SMSSynthesis.cxx overwrites our phase values.
> We saw that we can set an attribute "Type" (in the PhaseManagementConfig
> attribute of our SMSSynthesisConfig instance, mSynthConfig) that can be
> set to "Align", "Continuation" or "Random".
> But we need something that would do nothing. Currently we have commented
> out mPhaseMan.Do(inputSinusoidalPeaks); but we think this is a very
> bad solution. Is it possible to add something like "None" as a Type option?
>

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Giacomo Sommavilla and Giulio Paci.
>

> [*] Di Federico, R., "Waveform preserving time stretching and pitch
> shifting for sinusoidal models of sound", In Proceedings of the COST-G6
> Digital Audio Effects Workshop, 1998.

 *       Xavier Amatriain        *
 *  Associate Director - MATi    *
 *  Research Director - CREATE   *