[Clam-devel] Old documentation in the wiki

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 11 10:09:51 PDT 2007

Ok, I don't remember agreeing to this approach. Call me old-fashioned
but I still like the idea of a coherent manual in addition to more
example-driven tutorials. I agree though that the one good thing about
this approach is that it is manageable, and that is a lot ;) So I am sad
we have to throw away so much text and efforts but it's fine with me (I
can't offer a better solution as of now).

But my rationale for doing the port to wiki was indeed much simpler: I'd
rather have the documentation in an editable wiki than in an html that
is never going to be updated. If we agree that is not the way to go,
once thing I would do, though, is remove the manual from the
documentation page on the web and add a more prominent link to the wiki.

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:51 +0200, David García Garzón wrote:
> Documentation it is worth the time, of course, Xavi, but reformating 10
> chapters is not as useful as rewritting a single chosen one. I would prefer a
> slower but selected and rewrited dump. I mean there are so much deprecated
> things and a user that would read that documentation will be in a mess. And
> we are in danger to suffer the broken window syndrome. So drop small but
> controlled. Nobody is going to review such amount of text.
>
> I considered old CLAM documentation a hard brick nobody wanted to read. I
> would not like to repeat the error. I think that was the agreement we
> reached. Task oriented howtos + Doxygen reference + Small
> Introduction/Roadmap. I would like to keep the line i started this weekend on
> Pau suggestion: Simple tasks. The idea is wondering what would a user
> starting to work with CLAM need to know: Setup his own SConstruct, Running a
> network, Connecting processings... No more theoretical introductions. They
> still can read your Thesis ;-)
>
> btw the difference among task oriented and subject oriented is that on subject
> oriented you talk about processing and explain all about the processing,
> while in task oriented you just talk about adding controls to a processing.
> Those complete description should go to the doxygen in my opinion.
>

> On Dimecres 11 Abril 2007, Xavier Amatriain wrote:
> > Today I gave it a try and ported some of the old html documentation into
> > the wiki (just for fun ;). I think it is worth the while even if most is
> > depracated and I volunteer to do it (I mean porting it to the wiki, not
> > fixing it). But first I need you to tell me it is worth my time. See the
> > current status, with some sections already filled in:
> >
> > http://iua-share.upf.es/wikis/clam/index.php/CLAMUserManual

 *       Xavier Amatriain        *
 *  Associate Director - MATi    *
 *  Research Director - CREATE   *