[Clam-devel] Re: [pksampler-devel] CLAM and PK widgets

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Wed Apr 11 18:57:10 PDT 2007

On Dijous 12 Abril 2007, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> Are you working on a project written in python?

No, it is C++. Although we want to provide bindings soon.

> If so, I would suggest
> that you keep as much code in python as possible!

Yes, i understand why. Now i have to take a look at the features you added
since the original port i did in 2004. Afortunatelly, C++ code is nearly as
tiny and simple as Python code.

Any way i just need being able to load the plugin, and just rely on the
AbstractButton and AbstractSlider interface, so i would like to check if i
the new announced PyQt feature (python designer plugins) really works.

> I developed an interesting way to do this in designer in C++. It is
> kind of complicated, though.
>
> I have a basic subclass for each standard widget like knob and button.
> They all have myStyle, myObject, and myValue (not the real names - the
> real names have our code name in them), string properties declared
> with Q_PROPERTY. When a plugin widget is loaded, the host wrapper
> checks all children with QWidget::findChildren() that have the myStyle
> property, and creates the appropriate style and sets it on the widget.
> It took me a while to write the styles, but know that I know the
> proper enums and virtual functions (hint: read qwindowsstyle.cpp and
> qcommonstyle.cpp for QWidget subclass usage, in that order) it's
> rpetty easy to write a style.
>
> PyQt doesn't support QStyle subclasses because of a casting problem -
> that's why I wrote my simple custom classes. My classes expect the
> pixmaps to be in a certain format (not so unreasonable), and the
> subclasses are all centered around a pythonic way to set a pixmap path
> on a widget easily. I don't know how this integrates into your
> project.
>
> What are your requirements for your widgets? do you just want to
> display pixmaps widgets from a designer form?

Well, i think that the current approach we are taking is more suited for our
purposes. Just a property with the base name for the pixmap. Our project is a
prototyping tool, as i told you. We want to allow a maximum flexibility
without programming. A user can build his own interface and bind it to a
processing core which is also constructed by another visual tool, the
NetworkEditor. Check the newer development snapshots. They have been
assembled using pixmap widgets from the designer plugin.

http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Development_screenshots

For the pixmap widgets i would like to have a fast way they can change the
image without compilation, that's why i made it a property.

In fact, I don't like my current property implementation. I would like a
pixmap property so you can use the resource dialog, but then i don't know how
to get the file name from the pixmap in order to extrapolate the other names.
I also would like to provide some default implementations classes not
requiring to setup any property. But definitely this approach is more
flexible than building a QStyle.

I would like also that our users could have your povray based widget
construction kit available on a handy place. So that they can generate new
widgets easily. I have to talk more to you about that. I am not a povray
expert. Also debian and your programs' dependencies are in some kind of
trouble. Which ditribution are you programming on?

> You can do whatever you
> want with my code, just leave a reference somewhere that says you
> learned something from me so I can get hired again when I quit my
> current job.

Of course. Thanks. And when you need to be hired, feel free to refer our
project as a success history for your developments. Definitely, we are going
to use it a lot. :-)