[Clam-devel] Re: QSynth Knobs

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Tue Apr 17 05:08:05 PDT 2007

Hi Rui!

En/na Rui Nuno Capela ha escrit:
> Hi David,
>
> Good to hear from you, gain since last night on LAC2007, Berlin.
>

> On Mon, April 16, 2007 23:38, David Garcia Garzon wrote:
>> Hi, Rui. I liked a lot the knobs you are using for qsynth. The widget
>> which was adapted (and enhanced?) from Chris Canam Rosegarden code. I
>> integrated it in CLAM and now is a widget more you can use to prototype
>> applications. Apart from porting it to Qt4 i also did some enhancements:
>>

> Credit should also be due to Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas who brought the
> original Rosegarden knobs to Qsynth in the first place ;) He's being CCed
> here too.

Really? The world is so small! We met him once here in Barcelona
like two years ago. Hi Pedro! are you still around Barcelona?

>> * Knob and shadow gradients use QGradient classes
>> * Pixmap cache was removed. Maybe i did something wrong on the port but
>> the widget was very sludgy until it generated all the possible possitions
>> and on resizing was worst. Also qt4 does double buffer by itself -> no
>> need for pixmap at all. * The scale has also a gradient
>> * To match mouse gestures center, i had to center the knob drawing on the
>> widget area when not square * Most of the sizes and positions expressed as
>> formulas and variables on the top and used later. This will ease any
>> further change on proportions and dimensions. * Of course, it is
>> integrated as a plugin for designer
>>
>> I still have to do some enhancements, such allowing more interaction
>> modes as option (such the one Chris implements in his current knob
>> version). Anyway if you are interested, you can find the code here:
>> http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/trunk/NetworkEditor/src/monitors/QSynth
>> Knob.cxx
>> http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/trunk/NetworkEditor/src/monitors/QSynthK
>> nob.hxx
>>
>> I also took some screenshot of their current look:
>> http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Development_screenshots
>>

> Yep, they look pretty cute, indeed. Thanks for the notice. As I'm nearing
> the edge on starting the Qt4 port of all my Q-suite (Qsynth, QjackCtl and
> Qsampler) those new knob components will be welcome back rightly,
> specially on Qsynth, of course ;)
>

>> You can see on the gallery i also ported PKSampler pixmap based widgets.
>> Together with CLAM DSP data views it is starting to be a powerfull audio
>> toolbox for QtDesigner which may have sense to be distributed
>> independently of CLAM.
>>

> I agree and that should be awesome, that is, making those widgets stand
> alone and actually as Qt-designer plug-ins.

AFAKT, these two things are already done. Right, David?
What is missing is packaging them as separated lib for better
reuse.

Best regards!
Pau

PS:
your mails to the list will now be automatically accepted
without being subscribed.