[Clam-devel] Re: [pksampler-devel] CLAM and PK widgets

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:11:50 PDT 2007

On 4/18/07, David García Garzón <dgarcia at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> On Dimecres 18 Abril 2007, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> > Sounds cool. I had a look at the links about creating good transparent
> > povray widgets. It would take a little getting used to, but the
> > workflow could be automated and integrated into the python-based
> > solution that I already started with the pk.povray package, and
> > respective rendering tools in repos/resources. We are using
> > alpha-blended widgets with Play, and they are great to work with.
>
> Great news. So you finished the release, didn't you? ;-)

We've got another month of PLANNED work. who knows when we get to
chill out a little.

> I am just casting transparent shadows on QSynth knobs. It was easier to do
> than with povray. Of course the effect is not the same but it is cool. Check
> the last screenshots.
> http://iua-share.upf.edu/wikis/clam/images/5/58/Qsynth-knobs-shadows2.png
> http://iua-share.upf.edu/wikis/clam/images/4/43/Qsynth-knobs-shadows1.png
>
> Not 3D but almost ;-)

Cool. Once you get some interface stability it would be nice to work
towards some continuity as well. Developing the semi-transparent
widget method would help a lot, so you could get rid of the old 136,
136, 136 that all my stuff uses. My Allen and Heath xone:3D mixer uses
black plastic with white indicators for all of it's controls - jog
wheels, faders, knobs, buttons, etc. Obviously this only makes sense
if you are building a toolkit or one app, but it appears that that is
what you are trying to do.

> > There are some things that need to be cleaned up with the widgets
> > along the lines of cleaner implementation. I have a few different
> > implementations for the knob that rely on modifier keys and make it a
> > little easier to get course and fine adjustments. The pixmap frames
> > for the pk.widgets.povwidgets should be all in one file instead of
> > separated out like they are in the implementation that you got from
> > me. This provides for resource and memory footprint.
>
> Modifier keys are really a good idea.
>
> > Also, the next thing I'd like to do is have a look at using python in
> > common audio plugin hosts. This will mostly involve project templates,
> > but that would kill two birds with one stone: using Qt with VST, and
> > AU, and using PyQt with them as well.
>
> Did i tell you we are also very much interested in mixing Qt and VST. Sure, i
> did. We want to extend the prototyper idea to VST plugins. We have the
> processing part solved but we lack a way of running the Qt interface. Drop us
> a line as soon as you start addressing such problem.

Actually, as far as I know all you have to do is create a
QApplication, then use QWidget *QWidget::create(WId) to create the
window. There is no event translation required. Be prepared for
inconsistent behavior between window systems, though. That's what I'm
working on at the moment.