[Clam-devel] Feature request: standard development folder

Xavier Amatriain xavier at create.ucsb.edu
Sat May 5 21:37:32 PDT 2007

Pau Arumi wrote:
> what you describe is exactly equivalent of using the prefix
> option. this is how david and me work, and i think that it's also
> well explained in the INSTALL. don't you agree?
I am not sure what the prefix option is supposed to do (can you explain
what is
its expected result) but it did not work with me. Does the option modify
all the
SConstructs (not only of CLAM but of the apps?).

In any case, it is not exactly equivalent for a number of reasons. The
main one
is that I am asking for a check point (or warning) at compile time. I am
also asking
for a special flag that overrides whatever you have put into your
install_path and clam_path.

The prefix option on configuration time may work but what if you then
specify a different install_path?
How does prefix and the Scons flags interact? It may not be possible but
what I'd like is a "devel" flag
that overrides whatever might have gone into your scons cache and
replaces it with a fixed path (relative
to your sandbox, of course) so you don't need to worry about mixing up
that stuff.

As for the LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue, I agree that is tougher to solve. If
you have clam libraries and
headers in standard system directories you are doomed. But again I could
imagine that having a compile time
flag like "devel" should help in banning Scons from going into those
folders... but I might be just dreaming :)