[Clam-devel] does ladspa increase latency ?

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Fri Aug 17 09:19:21 PDT 2007

En/na globot ha escrit:

"does ladspa increase latency"
yes. specifically when jack (or other backend) uses a buffer size <
  512.

the latency is determined by the LadspaWrapper audio in/out port
sizes, which is hardcoded to 512.
this is not only limited to ladspas, most time-domain processings
get the port size from the network wich is also hardcoded to 512.

ok, regarding latency, this is an important flaw. it is a known
flow and fortunately easy to fix as well. it's a matter of exposing
the host (or backend/network-player) buffer size to the
processings. and the sample rate as well, for the matter.

as we use to develop new features driven by necessity i think you
give us the perfect excuse here :)
i've been working on a patch this afternoon but didn't had time to
finish it (found some difficulties with JackNetworkPlayer
initialization). i'm attaching it as is now just in case anyone
wants to continue from there. i'm afraid i won't have the chance to
write code till first of september.

note that the patch is not ready. it will assert on NE loading.
parameter propagation is still not in place but all needed
interface is there.

cheers!
pau