[Clam-devel] CLAM on Windows

Giulio Paci giuliopaci at interfree.it
Fri Dec 7 06:24:17 PST 2007

Hi to all!
    It was a lot of time since I asked how to compile CLAM on Windows,
but I'm here
again, with (I hope) good news.

For me is important to not depend on crosscompiling to build Windows
binaries, so
I've started to patch SConstruct files and build CLAM dependencies and
now I'm able
to compile CLAM framework on Windows too.
At this time I've no complete patch to submit, 'cause my main task was
to build CLAM
and it is not completely clean.

But before cleaning up my code I want Your opinion on my work and I
want to know
if it has any chance to be integrated within the standard CLAM framework.

I've changed a lot of thing:
1) I don't want to use a sandbox, but build the dependencies, the
framework, and the
applications, just as I do on my Unix-like environment. This is the
way MinGW developers
are working. So I want to remove the sandbox, at least on real Windows.
2) Windows platform have some limitations. I need to patch SConstruct
to workaround,
remove them.
    a) W32 Python command line as 1024 char limitation, so scons
cannot execute code longer
    than 1024 char. This limitation can be removed by using Python w32
extension and a
    spawn replacement inside SConstruct files.
    b) The actual pkg-config file generation is broken, as it not
include linking dependencies
    and as it hard code all CFLAGS dependencies. It would be better if
it uses the Requires field
    for package that ship with pkg-config files and hard code only the
other flags.
    On windows this is important 'cause otherwise You will not be able
to link programs
    unless You will not provide all the libraries containing all the
symbols that are used.
3) Some checks must be changed. A lot of them are still for MSVC.

My setup environment is:
Windows (XP or 2000), Python, W32 Python extension, MSYS, MinGW, scons
0.97, pkg-config 0.20
and the following libraries (among the others):

Binaries from internet:
pthreads-w32-2-8-0
qt-win-opensource-4.3.2-mingw
glib-2.14.1

Self compiled with MinGW+MSYS
fftw-3.1.2
cppunit-1.12.0
id3lib-3.8.3
libmad-0.15.1b
libogg-1.1.3
libsigc++-2.0.18
libsndfile-1.0.17
libvorbis-1.2.0
libxml++-2.20.0
glibmm-2.14.1
libxml2-2.6.30
pa_stable_v19_061121

What I want to know is if You are interested in this job to work, and
if there
is anyone with a crosscompiling setup which will review my work, in
order to
correct problems that may arise. If anyone is interested I will write
a file with
information on how to build the libraries I've built.
I can also make them publicly available.

Cheers,
    Giulio.