[Clam-devel] and NetworkEditor evolves...

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Thu Feb 28 08:42:00 PST 2008

This mail is to explain latest movements on NetworkEditor svn for anyone
wanting to collaborate in ideas or code.

I have three pending refactors to the CLAM NetworkCanvas:

1 - Abstracting the widget from CLAMness so that the widget can be used in
other environments. A Qt equivalent of Patchage's FlowCanvas for GTK.
(http://wiki.drobilla.net/FlowCanvas)

2 - Turning NetworkCanvas a QGraphicsView: QGraphicsView appeared the release
after we migrated to qt4, so we implemented by hand a lot of QGraphicsView
functionality. QGraphicsView is optimized with clipping, selective redraw,
B-Tree lookup... so it should speed up big networks rendering.

3 - Using a plugin system for the embedded widgets. That is breaking the long
spagetti if-then-else function that inserts a widget or another depending on
the processing class.

I am currently addressing the first refactor. It would enable adding the
network canvas to an eventual qt audio widget library that will be usefull
for other projects such as [http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/ QJackCtl] (that
has been ported to qt4) and the UPF's GTI framework which have
shown interest on such a widget.

But also it could revert on CLAM's features, for example, we could add a
cool 'jack view' to the network editor that could be used to connect the
network with other jack clients as if they were clam processings within the
same application.

What i am doing now is constructing a base class and moving most CLAM
independent attributes and methods up. If I found some CLAM dependency I
create a virtual method and call it. By the shape of the virtual methods i
think that a modelview-like class will emerge but i don't take it by granted.

Next steps:

1 - Solving the processingBox:
Some net canvas tasks that are delegated to the ProcessingBox are also CLAM
dependant and should be moved to a CLAM dependant class. The problem here is
that processingboxes now have direct access to the clam processing pointer
and indirecting using a network view could mean a lot of processing name look
up. To avoid lookup, do we need a 'processing view' class? could a dull void
pointer could be used to avoid lookup?

2 - Providing hooks to populate contextual menus and sigslot programming
Currently CLAM dependant context menu options are populated in the abstract
class. They work because sigslots are runtime binding and in runtime the
derivate provides such signals and slots.

3 - Subclassing the netcanvas widget or the netcanvas widget using a
network-view interface?:
The key question to decide is what do we need to redefine, just the new model
access virtual functions, yelling for a view class hierarchy, or do we still
need to redefine widget's methods so that views imply double hierarchy of
widget and views.

4 - Solving the initial setup (active model vs. providing a description list)
The most intense interaction with the model is the initial reflexion of the
model into the canvas. Initially

5 - Spliting dummy and clam models and test that dummy works by itself without
clam.
Currently the model we have is dual, when the network pointer is null, we do
dummy actions over a dummy model. We used it originally to test the widget.
Dummy model could be the default implementation to be redefined being
abstract methods on the abstract canvas or in the abstract model/view
hierarchy.

6 - Implementing a Jack model.
The proof of concept will be implementing a Jack model. It will introduce new
requirements not currently considered: Some actions doesn't have sense such
as adding/removing clients, and also networks are modified externally so that
we need to observe external signals beside user actions.

7 - Adding the canvas to the clam widgets plugin and eventually split it in a
different binary package so they can be used without CLAM.