[Clam-devel] GSoC 2008: Educational Vowel Synthesiser

Pawel Bartkiewicz tuuresairon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:13:41 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm a student from Poland and I'd like to work on Educational Vowel
Synthesiser as my GSoC project this year. I've been playing with
NetworkEditor for some time today and here is what I've come up with:

I have modified the example vowel synthesiser CLAM network by
replacing HarmonicPeaksGenerator with GlotalSourceGenerator and adding
an ADSR volume envelope. The network can be downloaded from:
http://fatcat.ftj.agh.edu.pl/~i7bartki/files/clam/VowelSynth_with_GlottalSource_and_ADSR.clamnetwork
Several vowels generated by this network are available as mp3 files here:
http://fatcat.ftj.agh.edu.pl/~i7bartki/files/clam/
I think this example shows clearly that a proper amplitude envelope
can make the synthesised vowels sound more natural so it's something
to be considered when writing an educational vowel synthesiser
(controlling vowel length should be possible as well because some
languages differ short and long vowels).
The network uses LADSPA plugin "ADSR Envelope" probably from
Bandlimited LADSPA Oscillator Plugins library (http://blop.sf.net).

Thanks,
Pawel