[Clam-devel] editing clam source, IDE's, editors, was "Re: GSoC"

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Tue Apr 22 20:13:06 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Pau Arumí <parumi at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> (Natanael, I'm answering your mail to clam-devel)
[snip]
>  > I'll ask about the IDE in clam-devel. Do you want to send also the
>  > testing diff there? Will you create a specific GSoC list?
>  Well, most Clam developers use "normal" code editors --at least David
>  and me are gvim fans--. These are not really integrated IDEs but is
>  efficient anyway.
>
>  Kate or kdevelop sounds good for editing --and even debugging with gdb's
>  front-ends. But there is no point in integrating the scons based build
>  process. Just use a (maybe integrated) terminal for that.

if you're going to use kate, take in account this patch/post (needs
recompilation)
"Tweaking kate to work more comfortably with clam source"
(http://h.ordia.com.ar/blog/index.php?entry=entry071205-085058)

>  Some time ago tried to integrate the build process inside Eclipse (there
>  is some doc about this in the wiki) but the results were not
>  satisfactory enough.

look here: http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Devel/Eclipse

about this phrase: "You should install the core Eclipse development
environment either through the Eclipse Webpage or through any of the
packages you will find for any major distribution. As far as I know
Eclipse needs a non-free Java run-time (Sun's or IBM) so if you are
not into that, stop reading. "

I just discovered that (at least in ubuntu) there is also an
eclipse-gcj package ("Native Eclipse run with GCJ") which is a
completely free option and also runs much more smoothly (since as i
understand bytecodes are compiled to native binary code)

I'll update the wiki with all this information...

cheers
--
Hernán
http://h.ordia.com.ar