[Clam-devel] A YES/NO question about the capability of the synthesizer & validity of the score

Han, Yushen yushen.han at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 15:12:17 PDT 2008

Hi, Greg and Pau

In Greg's implementation, no frame was held before it is synthesized.
No frame in the score will be skipped even if the frequency interval
between 2 consecutive frames is very big.
( Am I correct, Greg?)

Here I have a fundamental question about the purpose of this synthesizer:
Should the synthesizer be able to produce whatever the score indicates,
even if it is something a real instrument / human musician would not
be able to do?

I noticed that a jump in the frequency will result in noticeable bad
sound( not due the buffer problem ).
But I am not sure if the jump in the frequency is an error in the score...

On one hand, if our purpose is to mimic the real oboe,
my plan is to generate reasonable score file by doing frequency
estimation over a real piece,
then to generate sound as close to the original as possible.

On the other hand, the ability to play anything in the score is an
interesting one -
it will enable musicians (in electronic music) to exploit the
expression of the instrument.

For the time being, I will assume that we only deal with "realistic"
sound by a real oboe.
I know Pau is very occupied at the moment. You are welcome to give a
YES-or-NO answer to my question if you feel comfortable about that.

To Greg,
Can you please give me some idea about how you obtain the
frequency-brightness score?
Did you generate it with your E-bow?

Best regards,
Han, Yushen