[Clam-devel] TYPEDCONTROLS REFACTORING: Opinions about actual controls compatibility

Francisco Tufró nictuku at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:38:00 PDT 2008

Hi, one of the topics that we didn't defined about the typed control
migration is what to do with the actual controls.
The first idea (and the one i like most) was to do a simple typedef
Typed[In|Out]Control [In|Out]Control.
The problem with this solution is that there are functions implemented in
InControl that have no sense in TypedInControl, specially those for bounds
and GetLastValueAs[Int|Bool].
My question is if it possible to structure the framework code so these
functions can be removed. For example, NetworkEditor uses this bounding
stuff, should we rethink the way it works with controls to simplify the
migration.
The other solution was to do InControl inherit TypedInControl and add the
missing functionality, but i think this solution is going to bring problems
when we migrate everything, and introduces some complexity to the framework
that i don't know if it is correct, and that's why i'm asking for opinions.
That's all by now!