[Clam-devel] Spectral Analysis/Synthesis

Thu Feb 7 15:06:17 PST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2008 22:39:24 schrieb Pau Arumí:
> On dj, 2008-02-07 at 22:25 +0100, Karsten Krispin wrote:

> SpectralAnalysis is appropriate when you need to do hard spectral
> transformations. If you don't, don't use it, but use the FFT (and IFFT)
> directly.

What do you mean by "hard"? Like complex transformations, or...?

Well, one purpose is to mix together some streams. I think I don't have to
explain you how the reactable works.. :) so.. Like the mixing which has to be
done in the sink... to get all synth-items together.

All in all I have to admit that I'm more or less new to the DSP..  I
understand the technics behind it and stuff,  but I cannot refer to deep
knowledge.

I understand that when transforming (like changing amplitudes in
frequency-domain) errors occour when synthing again the signal.

So.. what could called to be complex then...? Is mixing together some streams,
or changing some frequencies amplitude be considered complex?

Or if I just want to build a resonant filter: Setting all amplitudes to zero.
For, this is nothing "complex"... well..

But I also would appreciate some hints where I can read about this in detail.
Unfortunately CLAM-Docs are bare informative about this all.

Greetings,
Karsten