[Clam-devel] Call for GSoC 2008 project proposals

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Thu Mar 6 03:23:51 PST 2008

On Thursday 06 Març 2008, Hernán Ordiales wrote:
> On 3/4/08, David García Garzón <dgarcia at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> > Google Summer of Code program is back this year. Last year, GSoC was very
> >  successful and brought new developers and features to CLAM. If we are
> > lucky, we might be chosen again this year as mentoring organization.
> >
> >  We are updating the wiki with new project proposals for the GSoC
> > application. We would like to open up this brainstorming process to users
> > and developers. If you are missing some feature you would like to be
> > addressed by GSoC students, just send it on the list.
> >
> >  Our working set of ideas:
> >  http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/SoC_ideas
>
> I have added a couple:
>
> http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/SoC_ideas#MIDI_support
> http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/SoC_ideas#Enhancing_NetworkEdi
>tor
>
> i'll continue later...

Wow, realtime wiring! it is cool but thats a project by itself don't bundle it
with other tasks. I supose you refer changing the connections without stoping
the network (Hot-wiring). That implies understanding the port connection
internals to address a lot of possible race conditions. But having such task
done will be definitelly great.

Undo/Redo it is also great. Qt offers a framework for that. Another cool
feature in the same package, to compensate removing realtime-wiring, would be
having cut and paste which is almost there.

So I would extract the realtime wiring as stand alone and adding the cut&paste
to this usability pack.

I added this one:
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/SoC_ideas#Standalone_chord_extractor_application
I think having such end user application is the key in order to give CLAM a
wide inclusion in distributions.