[Clam-devel] Tests

Pau Arumí parumi at iua.upf.edu
Wed Apr 9 06:48:17 PDT 2008

El dc 09 de 04 del 2008 a les 15:24 +0200, en/na David García Garzón va
escriure:
> El Tuesday 08 April 2008 22:33:44 Francisco Tufró va escriure:
> > Hello, i've started to do some tests related with the typed connection
> > templates. As soon as i have some result i'll post it to the list.
> > I ported the InControl class to a templated class.
> > Right now i'm hardcoding every instance of InControl as InControl<float> to
> > compile and test it.
>
> Before proceeding, i would suggest that you get the guidance of Pau or mine.
> This is a very transversal modification and it should be done carefully to
> keep the rest of the code compiling. We had hard experiences with transversal
> migrations such as this one. It needs some planning, test driven development
> and so on. Send to the list any patch/code you are working on so this could
> turn into a community effort.

Well, we already did some talk about it on irc. It was clear that the
"new typed controls" will coexist with the current float ports (at least
least in short and midterm), so there is no such transversal migration.

Actually to reduce long compilations I propose to try the experiments in
concrete processing classes rather than base classes. Anyway we'll be
glad to review patches and answer questions.

> > Then i'll start doing some not float tests.
> > I've found that scons copies all the clam source into scons/lib/core/src
> > and asked hordia about it. He told me that's the way it works for clam. I
> > think this should be noticed somewhere, it's a strange behaviour, and the
> > errors appear with the scons path and not the real, that's a problem, one
> > has to find by hand (or by find -iname :P) the file.
>
> This is not that strange. Most projects move all the files to a distint folder
> such CLAM does. Anyway we don't like that, because errors are reported in
> files that you cannot edit. It is a long life to-do for the build system. I
> would rather invest time in fixing it than documenting it. ;-)

Well, a quick warning note in INSTALL file doesn't hurt either. Just
commited :-)

Commit 11291:
 * Added a warning note about compilation error source paths,
    and how to search the original source file.
 ** Thanks Francisco Tufro to point out these documentation weaknes

Pau