[Clam-devel] Re: gsoc project - real time synthesizer for a woodwind instrument

Han, Yushen yushen.han at gmail.com
Wed May 28 13:07:13 PDT 2008

Hi, Pau and Greg

Thanks to Greg's reply, I am able to covert my audio samples to SDIF and
identify loops ( with startTime/endTime in ms specified in a .XML file).
But If I extract the loop with startTime/endTime from the SDIF file, the
loops contain "clicks" and hence sound bad.

Here I suspect hat a ms may not be the best unit to specify a loop.
e.g. suppose SR = 44100 Hz, HOP = 256 samples (as used in Greg's code),
for a note C4 (f = 261.6Hz), we will have 3.8ms per period i.e 168.8 samples
per period.
The fraction will lead to round error if we specify the loop by ms.

In the hope that a sample-by-sample approach will avoid the click,
I am trying to develop my algorithm to identify an optimal loop based on the
best f0 given by
segment.GetFrame(counter).GetFundamental();

However, I check out the reference for segment, frame, and audio but did not
know how to specify the unit by sample.

http://www.clam.iua.upf.edu/doc/CLAM-devel-doxygen/classCLAM_1_1Segment.html
http://www.clam.iua.upf.edu/doc/CLAM-devel-doxygen/classCLAM_1_1Audio.html

Do you agree that it is the reason why the loop sounds like "clicking"?
Do you know if there is a way to refer to a chunk of audio by sample?
Thanks!

Best regards,
Han, Yushen

Best regards,