[Clam-devel] Request for votes: Thinking on 'Connect to' feature

Natanael Olaiz nolaiz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 21:57:04 PDT 2008

El 06/14/2008 01:26 AM, Natanael Olaiz escribió:
> El 06/13/2008 02:50 PM, David García Garzón escribió:
>> This days i've been using the annotator for connecting massive
>> networks. Definitely, the cut and paste feature is great for that
>> (and it will be even more usefull when the positions patch is applied).
>>
>> But, the feature i feel hard to use is the new connect-to context
>> menu. We are substituting a hard-to-aim connecting interface with a
>> hard-to-control 3 levels contextual menu. Most processing have just a
>> single connectable port so the last level is not that usefull but
>> nagging.
>>
>> Several alternatives to connection come to my mind:
>>
>> A) Having 'Processing.port' pairs in the Connect-to submenu instead
>> of two levels of selection. This could be very populated but is
>> faster to use.
>>
>> B) A mid way 'Connect to' submenu that just contains processings. If
>> the processing just has one compatible port it just connects it. If
>> it has more than one port, a selection dialog appears to select the
>> ports. Multiple selection could be available, which might be also
>> convenient.
>>
>> C) A 'drag wire to processing' feature. Dragging a wire onto a
>> processing it would work as selecting such a processing in the
>> previous option.
>>
>> D) A 'Connect to...' context menu option, that opens a selection
>> dialog with all the compatible Procesing.Port options. Multiple
>> selection also useful here. The benefits of this one is that it is
>> very easy to connect one port to a lot of ports in different
>> processings.
>>
>> They all are easy to implement as most of the code is already there
>> on the current connect-to menu implementation. If Natanael is busy
>> with other tasks i could implement one or two of them.
>>
>> Any strong feeling in favor of any of them? I specially like C and D.
>>

> I vote for D or B. A is faster, but it could be really popullated.
> About C, I don't like so much the dragging of cables... but anyways,
> that option is not exclusive of the others.

Harder to implement, but.... what about a konqueror "CTRL" alike
shortcut? If you press the shortcut, every port/control is labeled with
a key. When you press one of the keys, that port/control is selected as
a source, and refresh the labels to only the compatible targets and show
the status in the status bar. That until you connect to a target, or
press the shortcut again to cancel the operation.

The main problem with that is how to label if you have so many
ports/control... Would be the letters/numbers enough?

For those who doesn't know that Konqueror feature, here is a screenshot: