[Clam-devel] Patch: embedded diagrams widgets for faust plugins

Pau Arumí parumi at iua.upf.edu
Sun Jun 22 04:33:29 PDT 2008

On dg, 2008-06-22 at 06:57 -0300, Natanael Olaiz wrote:
> Pau: this is just a simple embedding diagram inclusion using your code,
> and an alternative method using QLabel instead QSvgWidget.
> What do you think?

I'm very happy that you have taken the Faust integration task!
It looks really nice and useful.

A couple of questions:
Shat is the trade-off between QLabel and QSvgWidget? (I have no idea
what QLabel does)
Do processing boxes get the "right" size automatically? (I remember this
was a problem in my first experiment)

> BTW, using "~"instead of "home" doesn't work in my machine (that's
> because the commented entire path).

"~" was a quick hack. Yes kick it out.

> Two questions:
>     1 - how to manage the shell for recompile faust modules on Windows?
> (there is a && equivalent, or it needs to execute one command after the
> other?)

I wouldn't mind making fast compilation crossplatform at this point.
As you say in the other mail, neither LADSPA is available in CLAM for
windows.
BUT: This (cross-platform LADSPAS, and LV2) is something that we should
have. There is no big technical problems that prevents doing this. And
those plugins fills a lot of "holes" in CLAM repositories.

>     2 - what would be the default paths for faust plugins and sources?
> what about let's move the "~/src/faust/..." to (if exists)
> $FAUST_PATH+"/..." or homePath()+"/..." ?

Yes. Actually, this should be done like LADSPA paths. Research that
code, if it is not in your cache (and reuse if possible)

Some improvements to the patch:

* Try being  more explicit in vars names in RunTimeFaustLibraryLoader
(avoid reusing "name")
* Metadata attribute "diagram"->"svg_diagram" or "diagram_file"
* In ProcessingBoxEmbeddedWidget +123 I would collapse the two ifs in a
single one.
* We should check if the svg file exists, and if not, we could embed the
faust logo (to be gathered)

It is ok to check it in. As usual, test, commit and refactor and test.

BTW, do you know if latest Qt versions allow svg navigation?

That's all for now. Keep up the great work!

Pau