[Clam-devel] Re: A YES/NO question about the capability of the synthesizer & validity of the score

Greg Kellum greg.kellum at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 03:08:55 PDT 2008

Hi Yushen,

It sounds like you're having problems with transients...  When I
generated that score for the violin sonata, I used a pitch tracker I
had been working on earlier to generate the initial score, but then, I
went back over it and made corrections to the score by hand.
Sometimes when there were transitions between notes, there simply
isn't any unambiguous pitch value, and if you force a pitch tracker to
give you a value for those frames, it will make a mistake, right?

I later added transient detection to the pitch tracker so if there was
a big change in the pitch value and the aperiodicity of the signal
jumped as well, then the new pitch value would be marked as a
transient and suppressed.  You could do something like this in the
synthesizer instead.  But the score generator has access to the
original signal and can make a much better guess as to whether a frame
is a transient than the synthesizer can.

Best,
Greg