[Clam-devel] Addressing foreign text encodings: a call for testing

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Tue Jul 8 20:14:22 PDT 2008

On Dimecres 09 Juliol 2008, JunJun wrote:
> > Is it the same error better explained or just that my second patch on the
> > matter (r11561) didn't have the desired effect? (To know the actual
> > revision you tested just open the about dialog)
>
> Ah, OOops, I think I forget to install the Clam after the compiling is
> done. I definitely need some sleep :-)
>
> Now congratulations, it appears that your r11561 is innocent.

Great! Thanks a lot for the testing, Jun. If anyone else have a different
encoding and want to try, please, do it and report.

By now i consider the path valid so i will apply the changes to the other
places where we do qstring -> char* conversions.

Anyway the solution works but i am not fully happy with it. Local 8 bit
encodings usually doesn't support any character and some of them even use the
0 char as extension marker. Handling utf8 internally is safest but the needed
refactoring would be harder and wider. So that's left as a TODO that will be
considered after the first issue regarding such problems ;-)