[Clam-devel] Turnaround - Chord Extractor application

Pawel Bartkiewicz tuuresairon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:58:40 PDT 2008

> Notice that binary files (mainly pngs) are missing in the patch (svn diff
> doesn't work with binaries). In any case, please, be conservative and
> include
> just those images you are actually using. Not those that you will eventually
> use. If you resend the patch (and the missing images as attatchment or in a
> tarball) i will commit it.

They were copied from Annotator/src/images:
fileopen.png
exit.png
player_pause.png
player_play.png
player_stop.png

> Also the monitor is something you are adding now because you are doing
> realtime visualization. As long as you will remove the realtime
> visualization
> the monitor must be removed from Turnaround.

I was trying to write my own DataSource today but the ChordExtractor
code (from Annotator) is messy indeed. Can I use TonalAnalysis
instead? It seems to be a bit cleaner way.

> I thought that was clear, but let me
> remind you just in case, the procedure is like that: On opening a file, the
> file is analysed offline. That means:
> * that you can use the FreeWheelingPlayer for that (no Jack, PortAudio...).
> * a progress bar using the progress control would be perfect here
> * the results of such an analysis, are not visualized but stored in an
> in-memory storage (we call it DataPool) as ChordExtractor does before
> dumping.
> At that point the user may play and seek the song using and
> AudioFileMemoryLoader connected to an AudioSink. The visualizations will
> take
> the data from a DataSource that access the DataPool, but selecting the
> analysis data at the time position sent by the AudioFileMemoryLoader output
> control.

That's how I'm trying to do it. However, I don't know how to use the
DataPool, because the ChordExtractor from Annotator uses it for
dumping the data to a file, which isn't my case.

> Wow. Perfect. An IRC session would be perfect for that. Are you still
> experiencing network problems?

I will be most likely online tomorrow evening. It'll be Friday,
though, so maybe you prefer any other time?