[Clam-devel] New mac-intel packages (was Re: 1.2 RC2 tagged)

Greg Kellum greg.kellum at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:29:32 PST 2008

Hi,

I've always been curious about how you guys actually make the releases
for those applications.  Do you have a special SConstruct script for
that, or is it just a target in the script that one usually uses to
compile and install CLAM.  The reason I ask is that when I was working
on this Max/MSP plugin I was wondering where I would find the static
libraries for all of the externals and how I'd go about linking them...

By the way in answer to your earlier question David about how Max
handles memory,  the impression I had after reading Max's manual a
couple years ago was that Max did somehow interfere with the normal
allocation heap, but I went back and read the sections about memory
allocation again.  Apparently, it doesn't.  They say you can't
allocate memory, because the Macintosh memory manager isn't reentrant,
and when you're processing audio, Max can interrupt your thread at any
time.  But I started a thread on Max's forums about this problem, and
someone else told me that using new shouldn't be a problem.  (I saw in
a debugger though that it was crashing in a block where new was being
called and not much else was happening there...)  They also
recommended that I read some CMJ article about threading in Max by Ben
Nevile and Randy Jones in http://www.mitpressjournals.org/toc/comj/
29/4.  But my employer (Geneva's conservatory) doesn't have access to
the CMJ.  So, I haven't done so yet...

Best,
Greg