[Clam-devel] Re: GSoC proposal for CLAM: Real-time synthesizer using SMS models

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Fri Apr 4 03:59:39 PDT 2008

On Divendres 04 Abril 2008, Han, Yushen wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you for clarifying things and walking me into CLAM, Greg.
> Now I get a better idea about the scope of the project.
>
> While estimating the number of hours for my project,
> I still expect for suggestions from my potential mentor  for the
> following things:
>
> (1) I think I need to choose between SPP and SMS in this situation.
> Now I slightly favor SPP because it is very similar to what I am doing
> right now.
>
> In the light of that the 2004 paper
> "Real-time Spectral Synthesis for Wind Instruments" By Mayor et al.
> concluded "Spectral Peak Processing (SPP) achieved better sound quality"
> I really want to know if you want me to focus on SMS for GSoC.

SPP in CLAM would be great but, as currently there are no support for such
algorithms. But as Greg said, you have limited time in GSoC to have something
fully finnished. If you choose SPP the key aspect of your project would be
having the SPP working and then the synthesizer as optional or post-GSoC task
just in case SPP comes to be a short task.

In any case, new algorithms are not our priorities this year, but having final
user interface, improving existing apps and mature CLAM infrastructure. This
proposal with the SPP algorithm is interesting for us, but just if you commit
to the project to have some app (synth) working even after GSoC. By our
experience, althouth this is one of the goals of GSoC, few students keep
contributing and this would be a weak point on your proposal (unless you have
a strong need of having such synth because you integrate it as your thesis or
something like that)

In any case, having the final user application for the synth is more likely to
get accepted. See the notes at the GSoC 2008 wiki page.

http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/GSoC_2008#Maximizing_elegibility

> (2) It is still a question whether I could use the "original
> recording" for SALTO?
> If not, I would like use the pitched notes (with 3 velocities)
> recorded in anechoic chamber
> http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html
> as I am using for my current research project.
> (Please ask about this if you can, Greg. Thank you in advance!)
> I did not try making database on my own, Greg,
> but I think allowing the user to integrate their own samples into SDIF
> database is a good idea.)

I think that original salto database was published on CLAM web page so i think
that we have the right to publish them. But i don't know if they need some
conversion to Greg metadata. Salto data is not currently available on the web
but this should be a bug, not a license concern. Am i wrong, Pau?

A new database would be great but i suppose you would need studio quality for
the recording. (i migth be wrong, Greg or Pau could tell you better)

> (3) As for the instrument in SALTO, am I supposed to pick up
> saxophone? (soprano or alto?)
> Or I can choose any woodwind instrument ( I prefer oboe in that case).

I think so, but think twice on the problem of recording a new database.