[Clam-devel] Formats & Protocols for 3D scenes...

Natanael Olaiz nolaiz at gmail.com
Thu May 15 01:47:43 PDT 2008

El 05/14/2008 02:32 PM, Pau Arumí escribió:
> Wow, very interesting collection of standards and projects.
>
> Luckily, for the Blender integration project we just need a) a 3D
> geometry file format and a b) OSC based source/listener positioning
> protocol.
>
> I don't have an opinion on a). Natanael, could you collect a list of
> Blender-friendly alternatives?

OK, I'll do it. Anyway, the access and exportation of the Blender scene
objects is quite easy... so I think we can choose any format we want
based on the convenience for sound processing...

> For b) we need a very trivial format, since it's just a matter of
> positioning sources and listener using OSC. So, starting with a (subset)
> of SpatDIF i think makes sense.

I agree.
BTW, thanks Xavier for your great info! I found it really interesting
(VML can be a good option for "a"), but reading further about AudioBIFS
in spite of it seems to be a really great and complete standard, I
dislike the numerous closed implementations and articles that I found.
:( Furthermore, as I understand there is some non-free licenses behind
MPEG4. Am I right?
So, I think SpatDIF could be the best option. If it will not become in a
standard, it doesn't matter: using it is a way to support it, and since
it's open it could be used by anyone who wants it. And as you wrote, we
don't need so much for the moment, so if is not completely developed
right now, probably the basic proposed descriptions could be enough (or
we can improve it if is needed..).

Last, but not least: talking about this with Pablo Di Liscia [1], he
sent to me an article about an interesting framework: AudioScape [2]. I
didn't tried yet, but sounds really interesting. Maybe I could use/adapt
it in someway for the proposal. For the scene description it uses the
OpenSceneGraph library, and in the paper it makes some interesting
critics to other implementations, like absence of sources directivity
[3]....

Best regards,
Natanael.

[1] http://musica.unq.edu.ar/personales/odiliscia
[2] Wozniewski, M. Et al (2007): AudioScape: A Pure Data library for
management of virtual environment and spatial audio. Pure Data
Convention, Montreal, Canada:
http://www.audioscape.org/twiki/pub/Audioscape/AudioscapePublications/audioscape_pdconv07_final.pdf
[3] I don't know how improved the 3D environment models will be reached
on my project, but that point is essential to do it.