[Clam-devel] Copy & Paste processings on canvas patch

Pau Arumí Albó parumi at iua.upf.edu
Thu Jun 5 02:57:12 PDT 2008

El dj 05 de 06 de 2008 a les 06:15 -0300, en/na Natanael Olaiz va
escriure:
> El 06/04/2008 06:17 AM, Pau Arumí Albó escribió:
> > El dc 04 de 06 de 2008 a les 03:58 -0300, en/na Natanael Olaiz va
> > escriure:

> >> Should I store the positions & sizes within the Network root path, or on
> >> a separate one (let's call it "NetworkCanvas", for instance)? In the
> >> second case I will need to make two calls to dump/restore methods (one
> >> within the network -as right now-, and the other within the canvas), but
> >> that keeps the data separated and doesn't need to transfer any new data
> >> to the network.
> >>
> >> Is my question clear enough? What do you prefer?
> >>

> > It makes sense to me but I'm not sure about the details -- specially who
> > and how to close the xml doc if we have two dump calls?
> > One possible solution that comes to my mind is adding a new string
> > argument to the Dump mothod (or function, don't remember) containing an
> > "extra root" with the positions and sizes.
> >
> > However, this is 2) and, IMO, 1) should be done before.
> >
> Sorry to insist.... but thinking about it, I'm wondering how to reuse
> the code to save selections without get the same problem of positions.
> The selections are attributes of ProcessingBoxes, just like positions!
> So, I can pass the list of selected processings to the Network, but I
> think doing that is maybe more weired than just start doing the
> integration in a higher level, in ClamNetworkCanvas, deriving it from
> Components, redefining StoreOn and LoadFrom, and make the
> ProcessingBoxes correspondents definition adaptions...

Well yes I see it's not an easy problem.
The main problem I see implementing Store and Load methods in
NetworkCanvas is that will duplicate the code in Network::StoreOn.
And we need this functinality in Network for the NE-less use cases.
What about adding optional decorations (in the design pattern sense) in
the Processing in the network containing the Canvas data: position,
size, isSelected (so that you can store only the selected processings in
a given string).
Then when the Canvas store would consist on first pushing the
canvas-related data into the network and then call the normal Store (or
Dump). And similarly for Loading.

However at this point I'd like to have David's input, he is the expert
on NE user-interface.