[Clam-devel] subnetworks interfacing - NE several opened files

Pau Arumí parumi at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jul 23 14:42:54 PDT 2008

On dc, 2008-07-23 at 17:58 -0300, Natanael Olaiz wrote:

> So, with all this context I ask: what do you think to add the Window
> menu item, and a "close network" subitem on "file", to allow having
> severals opened networks? The active one will be the one you are
> seeing (on the original "Network" tab).

And what would you do with the NetworkPlayer if the user change tabs
while running?

I don't see multi-document useful in NetworkEditor (though I'm always
open to get convinced)

I think that NE with subnetworks should look like a code debugger: you
deal with two views:  1. the stack showing a list higher contexts of the
current inner executing line and 2. the code in the chosen context.

Now, back to NE: of course 2. corresponds to the network selected in 1.
And 1, could be a textual list, as a first version, and a "list" of
networks miniatures as a second version.

However, in my opinion subnetworks should not be approached from the UI,
but from the model. Because now it's hard to decide how will be the
model the UI will interact till it's not done.
Refreshing a talk at irc, this should be the steps:
     1. improve current Network interface to facilitate Network clients
        (basically NetworkCanvas and FlowControl) getting the graph
     2. make Network a composite (as in the pattern).
     3. work ou the UI

Point 2 is difficult. My design proposal (discussed with David) is the
following: the root of the composite should have a FlattenedNetwork
object associated. FlattenedNetwork and Network both derive from an
abstract BaseNetwork. Only FlattenedNetwork have a NetworkPlayer and a
FlowControl, and owns all the processings in the hierarchy.
This should be more discussed, and developed test-driven in small steps.