[Clam-devel] Frontend for automatic generation of plugin code

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Sun Aug 3 11:49:05 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Pau Arumí <parumi at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> On ds, 2008-08-02 at 23:56 +0200, Xavier Amatriain wrote:
>> Really cool ++ :-) This has been a long time in the todo list!
>>
>> What else would it take to generate a full working processing class this
>> way? Add a text box for the Do() C++ code? The #includes? Anything else?

Just the code inside the Do(), new Do's with parameters and extra
includes of whatever is used inside those methods (but i think a set
of standard and CLAM classes could be detected from the code and
automatically included). Includes from base class, ports and controls
are already automatically included by the scripts.

> Pau Arumí <parumi at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> And then you get the compiler error message and what you do? Hummm...
>
> Code editing (beyond tedious template code) should be done in
> editors/IDEs instead of forms, IMO.

I agree, I think the dangerous point is, seeming easy, a new user
could get frustrated because compiler error messages. My original idea
was about skipping all the boring repeated code of every processing
and let the user/programmer concentrate in the Do() method earlier.

> *But* it leaves to an interesting point. Why not integrate this
> processing generation in NE?
> You specify the metadata, click "create processing" and plop, it appears
> in the canvas. Then, as in faust we could launch an editor on user
> request (clicking on the box), and even recompile, re-using the console
> panel we have for faust.

I think a first milestone that is useful for both approaches is to
allow the option of reloading clam's plugins in the same way now is
present for faust ones.

>> Hernán Ordiales wrote:

>> > I agree. I'll rename it

Hernán