[Clam-devel] residual spectrum line segment approximation?

Xavier Amatriain xavier at amatriain.net
Thu Aug 7 14:18:05 PDT 2008

Hi Baba,

Sorry for the late response but I think that this discussion is getting
a bit off-topic for this mailing list as it is more a discussion on DSP
issues than on CLAM itself. I encourage you  to take the thread to the
music-dsp mailing list [1] where you will probably get much more (and
quicker) feedback on general DSP questions... Unfortunately I don't have
as much time as I wished to get to these questions that require more
thinking than writing ;-)

In any case, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong in your procedure
except in the way you have decided on the input spectrum. The idea
behind applying the BH92 to the residual spectrum was because when doing
the line approximation out of few spectral points you are "losing" the
effect of the analysis window. It is similar to what happens when you
do the peak detection process in the sinusoidal component. If you use
the original spectrum you are in fact applying the window twice, right?
Or am I missing something? As a quick test you could try doing a peak
detection + sinusoidal synthesis (without phase continuation) also on
the residual component. This should mimic the effect of what I was
proposing... more or less.

Also, what do you exactly mean when you mention phase discontinuities?
Could you post some audio examples somewhere? Listening to the result
can sometimes save a few lines of email text :-)