[Clam-devel] croscompiler

Dirk Griffioen dirk.griffioen at barcelonamedia.org
Mon Jun 15 08:41:57 PDT 2009

Once more, a small update on setting up a crosscompiler

- clam: ok
- plugins: spacialization is ok, osc does not compile (has it been tried
with another compiler?)
- networkeditor: builds

I also compiled boost, but not with all libraries as the crosscompiler
needs to be updated to be able to compile
- errors: iostreams, math (one of the math libs)
- not tried: python, regex with icu, mpi

The question now is 'do we need/want a full boost version to ship with
clam or do we ship just the things we need?'

- in the first case we need to update the crosscompiler to gcc 4.3 (but
we might need this any way when we want to update the binaries)
- in the second case we just add what want/need now (many great libs are
header only) and fix the rest later ...

What do you think?

Dirk

Some afterthoughts:

- experience has shown that running more than 1 compiler over a codebase
makes it better (different compilers catch different bugs), and that the
testfarm/continuous build should be run on platforms you ship for ...

- from seeing a bit more code, I think that using for instance the
microsoft compiler is a lost case (it will need a lot!! of work); same
maybe applies to the intel compiler