[Clam-devel] Ogg seeking

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jun 3 13:38:20 PDT 2009

I was unsure of either option. I am still unsure. In summary, I am just
refactoring both until they blend.

On one side sndfile has already seek, float wavs, lockfree support and nicer
interface for multichannel than MultiChannelAudioFile* but, on the other hand
it still lacks ogg, mp3, error condition safety, and, important, unit tests
to evolve it without regressions. On the other hand, audiofileio already
implements sndfile, ogg and mp3 support, is test backed and the error
conditions are properly handled (and tested).

I aggree that complexity of sndfile plugin code was still not that high than
audiofileio but, believe me it had already a very high complexity/feature
ratio. Adding features required refactoring and so i did. Now i think that
the new features are completely clear and abstracted out as helper classes
but the codec itself. To see how to abstract the codec i took a look to the
audiofileio stack. But i applied the understand by refactor principle ;-) and
soon i had a higher level interface was not that far of what we where leading
sndfile to. Being backed by tests was nice in this case.

Being both interfaces that similar, moving features from one to another seems
easy so we have many options now. Adding seek was a couple of lines for each
codec (not with mp3 but that's a mad problem, not audiofilein). It is not a
double effort, being able to address codec complexity and lockfree complexity
in separate code bases has been very insightful to me.

BTW, i just added a very preliminar seek for mp3. A better solution is needed
as currently we are navigating along the mp3 sequencially and just forward so
it is too expensive, meaning being stopped by jack depending on which jumps
you do. In Miguel's code differentiates constant rate, variable rate with
xing header (which i think acts like an index) and and
not-indexed-variable-rate. In the later case we should build the index
ourselves.

Let's talk about it tomorrow. Maybe we have some spare time then.