[clam-devel] Idea.

malik martin laserbeak43 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:15:08 PDT 2010

That sounds great! Call me a lazy noob, but getting a proper linux dev
environment set up is downright cryptic. Especially when you're used to
windows.

On Sep 28, 2010 12:14 PM, <edgley at mnsi.net> wrote:

Hey everyone,
  I wanted to make a few new plugins for the network editor
for quite a while now.  I have decent experience with C++
from university and subsequently on Windows, but
unfortunately, getting CLAM to compile has always proved a
problem for me... Most of the compilation walkthroughs are
out of date or I run into roadblocks that I get stuck on...
 I'm trying to learn to use the MinGW compiler and get more
familiar with Linux at the same time, and to be honest, I'm
not getting far.  I'm obviously no guru, but I could be
helpful to the project.  However, I'm getting very, very
frustrated and I'm sure I'm not the only one to find initial
project layout and compilation has been an impediment to
their ability to contribute to the project.  But I have a
solution...

  Has anyone considered making a Linux virtual machine
available with the compiler already source all set up and
working on it?  This is EXACTLY what Maemo Linux does for
their SDK and it's enabled hundreds of developers to
participate when setting up the compiler, resolving
countless dependencies and diagnosing 100 subtle versioning
errors would have otherwise have prevented them from
participating.  Hell, I'd love to download a VM, update the
code using subversion and just type 'make' (like I did for
Maemo development)...  What do you guys think of this
idea...?

Sincerely,
  MindMusic (Frank Edgley)