[clam-devel] polyphonic pitch detection

Nathan Stewart swarfrat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:17:52 PDT 2011

I'm digging into clam - and not finding a lot of documentation, even in the
source.
I'm trying to look into the perennial polyphonic pitch detection, however I
have a laundry list of constraints I'm willing to live with that hopefully
might make it easer.
I'm trying to do Guitar to MIDI, and so far the following have occurred to
me:
1) I don't care if its real time, though it would be nice of course.
2) I'm not trying to process completely arbitrary mixed instrument
soundscapes - one instrument, with a straightforward(?) harmonic structure.
3) There are a maximum of N note polyphony, where N is almost always 6.
4) The up to 6 notes must be composed of either open strings, or within 4
frets of any other fretted note. (Not completely got my head around how this
helps, but I think it could be useful)
5) The range is approximately 4 octaves
6) We can slap any filtering on there that helps.

And of course discrimination of octaves vs harmonics is a tough problem.

I've taken a look at TonalAnalysis and the MelSpectrum widgets, and I don't
fully grasp whats coming out of either.
The TonalAnalyis PitchProfile is a vector of floats, but what do they mean?
Where does the line form for slaying this particular dragon?

Also - I built and installed CLAM/processing, can see libclam_processing.so,
but the NetworkEditor has no ConstantQTransform widget available.