[clam-devel] Spacialization Plugin examples

David García Garzón david.garcia at upf.edu
Wed Aug 3 16:08:27 PDT 2011

A Dimecres 03 Agost 2011 23:51:13, Murray Meehan va escriure:
> Hi Pau,
>
> Sounds good, I'll give that a try some time next week.
>
> Are the particular .hrtfs files you have proprietary, perhaps because
> they use HRTF measurements your company has made, or is the .hrtfs
> file format itself proprietary? Do you think it would be reasonable
> for me to create some .hrtfs's, license them under a creative commons
> license, and submit them to the CLAM project?

Hrtf databases are freely available but they are not ours but mit's or
ircam's, and they are also quite big so we prefer not to host them in our web
site. The hrtf file is just an index to make the access to such databases
uniform because they use different naming conventions and formats. It just
contains for each row elevation, azimuth and the relative path to the wav file,
so it is easy to generate.

You can, for example pick one of the ircam databases from here:
http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/download.html

The files names have a format similar to:

> I am hoping to spend part of the the next 4 months preparing an
> installer and tutorial for future audio signal processing classes at
> UVic so that students can use CLAM in assignments and term projects
> without getting bogged down in setup and compilation issues

I am glad to hear that. For any doubt or problem you find, just ask.

> What components / source data in the CLAM project are proprietary
> right now? For instance, besides these hrtfs files are there any other
> processings for which I need to provide sample data, in order to use
> CLAM and its plugins for educational purposes?

Some of the components of the spatialization plugin require data not available
such room IR databases (too heavy) or the raytracing library to generate them
offline or on the fly (because of IP issues). Anyway you can still get
interesting results with the spatialization plugin without room IRs.

> Oh, and thanks for the quick response, by the way.
>
> Murray Meehan
> University of Victoria Dept. of Electrical Engineering
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Pau Arumi <pau.arumi at immsound.com> wrote:
> > El dc 03 de 08 de 2011 a les 04:27 -0700, en/na Murray Meehan va
> >
> > escriure:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I tried to run the spacialization plugin example called
> >> "mono2binaural_controls.clamnetwork", found in
> >> CLAM/plugins/spacialization/example-data/mono2binaural_controls.clamnetw
> >> ork", but am missing a required HRTF database file. The .clamnetwork
> >> file goes looking for a file called
> >> "../../../../imm_bm/HRTFs/ircam1017L.hrtfs", which does not exist in
> >> the clam or clam-data SVN branches. In fact, there are no .hrtfs files
> >> anywhere on the clam-project website, that I am aware of. Where can I
> >> find this file?
> >
> > I'm afraid that we can not make .hrtfs files public. However it is
> > relatively simple to deduce the format and make one on your own. The
> > hrtfs file is basically a wrapper for HRTF databases, and it is easy to
> > find public HRTF databases.
> >
> > Best
> > Pau

(Work) david dot garcia at upf anotherdot edu
http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~dgarcia