[clam-devel] Dolby Beijing looking for researchers

Bauer, Claus cb at dolby.com
Wed Jan 14 15:26:18 PST 2015

Dear Research community!
Dolby Laboratories' group in Beijing continues to expand. It would be great if you could circulate the job specs below
to potentially interested people. We look for fresh grads as well as experienced staff.

Senior Research Engineer
(Multimedia System and Algorithm Research)

Overview

Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent, including insatiably curious engineers and scientists for our advanced technology group. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This position is in the Research Organization of Dolby Laboratories (www.dolby.com) and is located in Beijing, China. The position focuses on the research and development of cutting edge multimedia systems and algorithms with a focus on audio. These systems are researched and designed to enable the next generation of media playback on smart phones, tablets, PCs, televisions; they will provide the technologies powering both next generation streaming technologies and cinema systems.
The Beijing Research team applies and uses a broad range of disciplines including audio and speech technologies, machine learning, information theory, computer science, and applied mathematics. The research work is performed in small teams consisting of researchers with different backgrounds. Most project involve global cooperation with Dolby's other Research teams in North America, Europe, and Australia.

The research engineer position focuses on the research and development of core technologies laying the foundation for Dolby's future commercial success. It requires a strong analytic mindset, an ability to quickly learn new, highly innovative multimedia technologies, and outstanding programming skills allowing to rapidly implements theoretical concepts into research prototypes. As a part of an international team, the research engineer will work on ideas exploring new horizons in multimedia technologies and delivery systems.

Your possible background

We are looking for a self-motivated, highly talented and highly accomplished individual that has demonstrated his/her ability to perform innovative research and is interested in applying his/her computer science skills to research novel and cutting-edge multimedia technologies. This position does not require an in-depth understanding of audio technologies and signal processing. The ideal candidate has done some multimedia related in academic or industrial research environment and has a strong interest to learn more about multimedia. The position requires advanced knowledge of theory and applications of techniques from theoretical computer science, search algorithms, and world-class programming skills. Very solid mathematical skills are a must.
Education, Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
*      MsC/Ph.D. Computer Science, industrial experience desirable
*      Outstanding programming skills: C/C++, Python, Matlab, Perl,
*      Good understanding of computer theoretical computer science
*      Solid background in applied mathematics and stochastic, experience in
            numerical modeling of complex systems
*      Internet and streaming applications expertise desirable
*      System design experience
*      Understanding of signal processing
*      Strong team-oriented work ethic.
*      Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new multimedia
            technologies with high commercial impact
*      Independent, self-motivated worker requiring minimal supervision
*      Fluent in Chinese and English. Excellent communication skills

Strongly Desired

*      Experience working in a software development team, including software version
            control
*      Good background in network programming
*      Proficient in Web programming and GUI design
*      Real-time windows programming
*      Personal interest in audio and video