[CLAM] sorry for the spam

Koen Tanghe Koen.Tanghe at rug.ac.be
Tue Jan 7 01:03:49 PST 2003

> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:54:18 +0100 (CET)
> From: Maarten de Boer <mdeboer at iua.upf.es>
> To: clam at iua.upf.es
> Subject: [CLAM] sorry for the spam
>
> their is too much spam coming into the clam list, so i will
> close it for unsubscribed addresses. this means that people
> that are not subscribed can still send to the list, but the
> mailinglist administrator (me) will have to approve submission

I was just thinking of unsubscribing because of this (signal-to-noise ratio
was very low for the last few digests ;-) ).
You can't help it: these harvesting robots are all over the net nowadays...

Another (maybe more complitcated) option: instead of closing it up (more
work for you to handle, allthough traffic is not too high for now), you
could also change the email address and make sure NOT to publish it in a
public place. If you want to mention the address on a web site for example,
you could put a .gif or .jpg picture containing a graphic of the address
instead...
Also, in the archives, is it possible to hide the email addresses of the
people who posted something and also the address it was posted to (the list
email address)?
It's a shame we need to take all these precautions these days...

> sorry for the inconvenience.

No problem, I get about ten spam emails everyday anyway :-(
But thanks for tackling the problem and best wishes for the new year!

Koen (IPEM)